Gaining confidence as a student nurse...

By Zoe - 10/02/2018

I have officially have six months to go until I qualify as a registered nurse. The thought of wearing a blue uniform, being attached to a set of drug-cupboard keys and having a whole load of responsibilities... is terrifying.


As a student nurse, having a good level of confidence is key. It's important to ask questions, advocate for patient's care and grab learning opportunities. This requires feeling comfortable with raising your voice in front of others. But, I know that it's much easier said than done.

There's No Stupid Questions

Before I started my training, I had never stepped foot in a clinical area. In retrospect, this had set me back from my peers. Everything was new and scary and sterile. In my first year, I remember googling what "DNACPR" meant, because apparently the medical world loves it's abbreviations. I did have fantastic nursing mentors, but I had zero confidence in myself to say "wait a minute... what does this, this and this mean?".

If you're unsure of something, it is important to ask someone about it. Asking some questions can feel silly, but speaking out will enhance your confidence over time. The more you do it, the easier you'll find it. And, remember that there's no such thing as a "stupid question" in the nursing universe. Believe me, I have asked some pretty daft things.

Exhibit A during first placement:

Me - How do you turn this blood pressure machine on?

Nurse - Well, there's a large green button that says 'ON'

Exhibit B during second placement:

Me - Why is it called a convoy?

Nurse - Um, it's called a convene...


Seek Opportunities

During my first placement, I let a huge learning opportunity slip because I was too nervous to ask if I could observe. I was so disappointed in myself, and I promised myself that I would start speaking up when I was presented with learning opportunites. As students, we have the luxury of supernumerary status and it's so important to take advantage of this.

Before starting placement, I now make a list of clinical areas which I'd like to spend a day or two at. This list will not only make you look super proactive, but it will help you to find it easier to discuss future learning opportunities with your mentor. I feel that gaining experience in so many different areas whilst on placement, and constantly meeting new people, really did excel my confidence.


Embrace Yourself

Super cheesy, right? But learning to embrace yourself, and all the crippling nerves that come with it, is so important. Confidence comes with time, and it certainly didn't happen overnight for me. I still get a huge lump in my throat when it's time to phone placement to introduce myself, and you're completely wrong if you think that I'll ever be the first to speak during a lecture.

Embracing the qualities that make you, YOU, allows you to build on them. Over the past few months, I've kept a "reflective" journal. I'll either write one thought from my day or a complete essay, but it helps me off-load and identify areas in my life which I need to work on. Turns out, my confidence is still one of those areas which I need to build on...

There is also a ton of helpful books out there for student nurses, which emphasise the normality of lacking confidence and how to work on it! The Student Nurse Handbook by Bethann Siviter is one of my favourites.

Thank you for reading my post! Share your thoughts in the comments.

XO Zoe

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Definitely compile a learning-opportunity/visit list! Once you qualify, it's difficult to go around seeing different areas... As a student you find yourself often working when your mentor is not in/is away on hol, going to visit a different area/speacialty makes it easier to fill in your required hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this aspect as a student, and I love getting to see new things within clinical practice. Definitely something I will miss when qualified!

      Delete
  2. Great post - that is such an exciting milestone in your life! :) I hope you love it!
    -Jenna <3
    Follow me back? The Chic Cupcake

    ReplyDelete