Mental Health: Let's Talk About It

By Zoe - 6/29/2018

Each year, it is estimated that one in four UK citizens will experience a mental health problem. In a survey of 2000 UK citizens, only 13% reported having a good state of mental health. Most horrifyingly, one in twelve young people admit to intentionally harming themselves. In the age of social media, people are turning to online friends for support. The website 'Reddit' is buzzing with forums discussing self harm and depression. Even going so far as to having a forum called "suicide watch", where online friends discourage suicide attempts. So, why are people more inclined to discuss their illness online?

Welcome to the world of stigma.


If you have a mental illness, it can feel like the world is against you, and it can be difficult to approach your family or friends. You may not want to upset them or you may fear social stigma and discrimination. Some people can be uneducated in mental health, and they may not understand how you're feeling. Unfortunately, this can lead to a poor reaction on their behalf.

As a teen, I experienced this stigma first-hand. When I first plucked up the courage to confide in my family about my mental health, there was an awkward silence followed by a look of horror. Over the years, I have had eye-rolls, glares and horrid names thrown at me... And, that was just from strangers on the street. Due to the visibility of my illness, I was (and still am) made to feel ashamed about my past. When I think back, the term "elephant in the room" comes to mind. Except, I was an elephant carrying an atomic bomb.

Let's talk about it

If you're struggling with your mental health, the most important thing you can do is to discuss it with someone that you trust. The only way we can shatter the stigma of mental health, is if we speak openly and honestly about it. If you're not ready to speak to your friends or family, there are some fantastic organisations which can support you until you have the confidence to reach out, which includes 'Elefriends' and 'Heads Together'.

Educate others

When it comes to mental health, education is key. Like I mentioned before, some lucky folks have never experienced a mental health problem and don't understand the concept of it. They'll tell you to "get a grip" or call it a "phase", and you may feel that they are not taking you seriously. Look at it this way... If you're uneducated on topic, you're more likely to become defensive and angry when it is discussed.

When I opened up to my family, the awkward silence was deafening. My parents just didn't understand what was going on. I found information online explaining the problems that I was experiencing, and printed it for my parents to read. This was key in breaking the awkward silence, and opened up a positive discussion. Nowadays, they understand that mental health is just as important as physical health. For further information, 'Mind' have excellent online resources which are simple and easy to understand. This includes resources for your friends and family.


These days, I'm comfortable discussing my mental health with others. It's obvious that social stigma still encompasses mental health, but we must use our voice to educate others. Speaking openly and honestly is the only way that we will overcome this discrimination.

XO Zoe

If you feel like you have no one to talk to, please call Samaritans on 116 123.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Well said Zoe. I can relate 100% to this post. I'm currently in the process of accepting that I have a mental illness, which I was in denial about for the past 5-6 years. I tried opening up to both of my parents separately and both conversations resulted in the awkward silence that you mention here.

    Together, I think we really have a chance of educating others. Hopefully, the stigma surrounding mental health will gradually fade and people will (again, hopefully) begin to understand and accept us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mental illness is incredibly common these days, and it's unfortunate that some people are still not accepting of it. The only we way we can de-stigmatise it, is it more people come forward with their struggles.

      Thank you so much for reading my post. I really appreciate it! x

      Delete