Movies That You Need To See

By Zoe - 3/10/2018

Happy Saturday!

Last week, I was stuck in the house due to the snow and I should have used the time to do some university work. Naturally, I binge watched Netflix. But, psychological thrillers count for working the mind, right? Anyway, I forgot how much I loved a good film, as I never usually have the time to watch one. Let me share a few of my favourites!

***Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.***


Get Out (2017)


Get Out is a psychological horror and it is definitely an odd one. Chris and Rose have been together four months, and Chris is finally invited to meet Rose's upper class parents. The weekend takes a turn for the worse though, as Chris is put in a "meet the parents gone-wrong" situation!

The plot is legitimately mental and it keeps you on the edge of the your seat. The acting from Allison Williams (Rose) was fantastic, and the 180 she does is brilliant... You'll understand what I mean half way through!. The film also recognises the role of racism within our society, whilst throwing in an out of this world storyline.

mother! (2017)


The first time I watched this film I turned it off, because it was a little too slow for me. The second time, I determinedly made it through the first thirty minutes, and I am glad that I did. It is a psychological thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence, and it is *incredibly* dark. Without going into too much detail, I can reveal that the movie involves a couple who have "uninvited" guests... Sorry, no spoilers here!

I really cannot say too much as I will ruin the storyline for you, but the plot runs parallel with a huge biblical metaphor. The film is gripping and shocking but, above all, dark. If you are sensitive to biblical themes, violence, sexual abuse or you are pregnant... DO NOT WATCH THIS. This film goes from 0 to 100 real quick, and it is definitely *not* for the faint-hearted.

Split (2016)


Split stars the talented James McAvoy, who plays a Kevin, a man with twenty-three personalities. Kevin kidnaps three teenage girls who must to fight for their lives to escape Kevin, and his personalities.

James McAvoy's phenomenal acting is what really made this film for me. He was so believable when portraying each personality and, it was almost as if a different actor was playing each personality. This film toys with mental illness and is intense. On a negative note, I did not like the ending, and would have preferred it if they had kept the plot a little more realistic. Nevertheless, it was a gripping film!

Flatliners (2017)


Flatliners is a re-make horror following five medical students. The students, who are played by a star-studded cast, experiment with the power of resuscitation to view the promise of the "after-life". Their experiments quickly become dangerous and the students must avoid being snatched by death itself.

It's a good film to watch if you're looking for an "easy" watch. It does get a little cringe-y in some places, but which horror movies don't? I loved the character development throughout the film, which I feel is lacking in many horrors these days.

What Happened To Monday


If you don't like horrors, What Happened To Monday is a science fiction thriller about seven sisters living in the year 2043. Famine and poverty have driven the government to a strict "one child" policy. Luckily, Monday and her six sisters (also named after each day of the week) are identical. The film surrounds the sister's ability to use their individual skills to evade the law.

It's full of suspense, humour and it is kind of gruesome, too! Noomi Rapace is such a talented actress and plays the fantastic role of all seven sisters. The character development and Noomi's versatile acting skills make each sister seem completely different to one another.

The Edge of Seventeen


On a lighter note, The Edge of Seventeen is a coming of age film starring Hailee Steinfield, who plays 'Nadine'. The movie follows Nadine's struggled to find her place in the world, acknowledging the all of the awkward parts of your teenage years. The adult humour makes it more relatable if you're out of your teens, so don't be scared to watch this if you're on the other side of seventeen.

Hailee Steinfield and Woody Allen do a fantastic job in this film, and there are lots of sick one-liner jokes that will leave you in stitches. This movie may also make you cry a little, so be prepared!

Scream (1996)


And finally, I had to chuck in a slasher movie! Scream follows a knife-yielding murderer (also known as Ghostface) who terrorises Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) and her friends. Ghostface makes his way through the town of Woodsboro, leaving many gore-y deaths behind him.

Obviously, you'll have to have been living under a rock to not have seen this movie as it is an old one. But, I had to mention it, as it is my favourite film! It's a classic and it's a great "movie-night" flick. It's full of gore, suspense and humour.

Thank you so much for reading my post! I hope you're able to find a good movie to watch!

XO Zoe

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments